Best things to do in Savannah Gerogia - a historic and charming city
And short trip to Tybee island
Savannah, Georgia is a historic and charming city that offers plenty to see and do. Known for its picturesque squares and architecture, Savannah is a popular destination for both tourists and locals alike. Whether you're planning a weekend getaway or a longer trip, this guide will help you make the most of your visit to Savannah.
Things to do in Savannah:
- Take a walking tour of Savannah's historic district. This is the best way to see the city's famous squares and historic buildings, many of which date back to the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Visit the Telfair Museum of Art, which is home to a collection of American and European art, as well as an interactive exhibit on the history of Savannah.
- Take a short drive to the nearby Wormsloe Historic Site, which features the ruins of a colonial estate and a nature trail through the surrounding woods.
- Visit the Savannah Botanical Gardens, which feature a wide variety of plants, including camellias, azaleas, and dogwoods.
- Take a horse-drawn carriage tour of Savannah. This is a great way to see the city's historic district and learn more about its history.
- Savannah is known for its seafood, and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from. The Crab Shack and The Old Oyster Factory are two popular options.
- Savannah is also known for its Southern-style cuisine, and there are several restaurants that serve traditional dishes such as fried chicken, collard greens, and mac
Tybee Island, located just a short drive from Savannah, Georgia, is a popular coastal destination known for its beautiful beaches, recreational activities and picturesque lighthouse. Here are some things to do while visiting Tybee Island:
- Visit the Tybee Island Lighthouse: This historic lighthouse is the oldest and tallest in the state of Georgia. Climb the 178 steps to the top for a panoramic view of the island and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Relax on the beach: Tybee Island is known for its beautiful beaches. You can spend the day swimming, sunbathing, or enjoying the many beach activities such as kayaking, paddleboarding, or parasailing.
- Take a dolphin watching tour: Tybee Island is home to a large population of bottlenose dolphins, and you can take a tour to see them in their natural habitat.
- Visit the Tybee Island Marine Science Center: This interactive museum offers a chance to learn about the island's marine life and conservation efforts.
- Explore Fort Pulaski National Monument: This 19th-century fort offers a glimpse into the island's military history and offers great views of the surrounding area.
- Take a bike ride around the island: There are many bike rental shops on the island, and a bike ride is a great way to explore the island and take in the scenery.
- Fishing: Tybee Island offers great fishing opportunities, whether it be on a charter or on the pier.
- Enjoy local seafood: Tybee Island is home to a variety of seafood restaurants that offer delicious and fresh seafood.
There is a lot to see in Savannah, Georgia, a picturesque and historic city. Here's a 3-day itinerary that will help you make the most of your visit:
Begin the day by taking a walking tour through Savannah's historic neighborhood. The city's famous squares and landmark structures, many of which date back to the 18th and 19th centuries, can best be seen this way.
- Begin the day by taking a walking tour through Savannah's historic neighborhood. The city's famous squares and landmark structures, many of which date back to the 18th and 19th centuries, can best be seen this way.
- After the tour, pick up a map and plan a day at the Savannah Historic District Visitor Center.
- For lunch, try The Crab Shack or The Old Oyster Factory, two of Savannah's well-known seafood eateries.
- Visit the Savannah College of Art & Design in the afternoon (SCAD). There are various public galleries on campus featuring the works of students and alums.
- End your day with a stroll along River Street. This historic district is located along the Savannah River and features a variety of shops, restaurants, and bars.
- Go to the Telfair Museum of Art first thing in the morning. The museum houses a collection of works by American and European artists and an interactive display of Savannah's history.
- Drive a short distance to the adjacent Wormsloe Historic Site after visiting the museum. The remnants of a colonial home can be found at this state historic site, which also offers a nature trail through the nearby woods.
- Try having lunch at one of Savannah's well-known Southern-style eateries, such as Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room or The Lady & Sons.
- Visit the Savannah Botanical Gardens in the afternoon. The gardens contain a variety of flora, such as dogwoods, azaleas, and camellias.
- Take a horse-drawn carriage ride through Savannah to cap off your day.
Day 3: Tybee Island
- Start your day with a visit to the Tybee Island Lighthouse. Climb to the top of the lighthouse for a panoramic view of the island and the Atlantic Ocean.
- After the lighthouse, head to the beach for some swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.
- For lunch, try one of Tybee Island's seafood restaurants, such as the Crab Shack or the Tybee Island Fish Camp.
- In the afternoon, visit the Tybee Island Marine Science Center to learn about the local marine life and conservation efforts.
- After the marine science center, take a stroll through the Fort Pulaski National Monument, an historic fort that played a key role in the Civil War.
- As the sun starts to set, take a leisurely bike ride around the island to enjoy the beautiful views.
- End your day with a delicious seafood dinner and a cocktail at one of the island's bars or restaurants.
- This itinerary covers some of the main sights and activities Tybee Island has to offer, but there are still many more things to explore on the island. Keep in mind that the events and festivals are subject to change and are affected by the circumstances of the moment. It is always good to check with the official website or local authorities for the most up-to-date information.
FlyCheapAlways finds you savings on airline tickets and hotels around the world. We at Fly Cheap Always compare fare from 700 airlines and 200 travel agencies to find you the best low fare flights. We are continuously working to find you the best travel deals and offers to enjoy more and save more on your trip.
Top events in Savannah:
Popular Flight Searches:
Popular Hotel Searches:
Other Searches on FlyCheapAlways
Search Flights, Hotels, Car Rentals!
FlyCheapAlways is a fast growing online search engine for flights and hotels, finding the cheapest flights all over the world. We search over 700 airlines and 200 travel agencies to find you the best low fare tickets. Use our advanced search and filters to book the flights which best suit your needs. FlyCheapAlways is a free service and we only partner with agencies with the best reputations.